The Mansion at Oak Hill was originally located on a 110 acre farm west of River Road on a knoll overlooking Cool Creek south of 116th Street in Carmel, Indiana.
Built in approximately 1940, the house was built for an Indianapolis entrepreneur, Gerald Canfield, who owned a local manufacturing business.
The structure was designed by well known architect, Hugh Bremmerman. It exemplifies grand colonial style and has the graceful architectural features of many turn of the century southern homes with modern dimensions. The ground floor consisted of a formal living room, gum wood paneled library, formal dining room, a kitchen with a breakfast nook, three-car garage and a formal entry that ran directly through the center of the house to a circular drive in the backyard with a fountain. The second floor consisted of four bedrooms and three bathrooms, in addition to the servants’ living quarters above the garage. The home totaled 7,000 square feet of living space.
In September 1990, 5,500 square feet of The Mansion was moved to its present location. This process included pulling and winching down a hill, crossing a specially-made bridge across Cool Creek, and going through a corn field, across River Road and under a power line. Once the home was set, renovations and 10,000 square feet were added to the south end of the home. The Mansion finally reopened in April of 1992.